November 21, 2021
These pancakes were inspired by a local restaurant nd an Italian food blogger. I recently had the most delicious fluffy pumpkin pancakes at a local breakfast spot. And then I saw a super fluffy pancake recipe by @tuttiatavolaconcinzia on Instagram…and I knew that I had to try to make a pumpkin version.
These pancakes are made super soft and fluffy by separating the egg whites and the yolks and then whisking each until they are fluffy and airy. Apparently this is a Japanese technique for making pancakes super soft & fluffy (original recipe in Italian: Pancake Giapponesei by Tutti a Tavola con Cinzia.
I chose to use oat flour first and foremost because I love the flavor. Oat flour also has several additional health benefits over wheat flour. It has slightly more protein, less carbs and less sugar.
It’s easy to make your own oat flour by grinding the oats in a powerful blender like a Vitamix. Here’s a guide for making your own oat flour.
Again I chose maple syrup over sugar because I love the flavor and this it complements oats and pumpkin really well. Maple syrup also has a slightly lower glycemic index that sugar.
Soft & Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes Made with Oat Flour & Maple Syrup
- mixer or whisk
- Mixing bowls
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch or potato starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- butter as needed
- Separate the egg yolks and whites.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer or whisk by hand until they become airy and soft peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and maple syrup until pale yellow and airy.
- Add the oat flour, corn or potato starch, baking powder, and cinnamon to the egg yolks. Mix and then add the milk and vanilla.
- Gently fold in the egg whites to the yolk and oat flour mixture.
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Drop spoonfuls of the pancake mixture into the pan, making them as large or small as you like.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and cover for about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for a few more minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Serve with toppings of your choice, such as butter, maple syrup or whipped cream .
- Buon appetito!